Teubner - Husmann House (November 1847)
When his new wife’s father was killed, her twenty year old brother, George Husmann moved in with the newlyweds and began a two year apprenticeship under his brother-in-law. By 1850, Teubner’s vineyard produced 700 gallons of wine.
After completing construction of a press house / wine cellar for his business, and a grand brick mansion for his family’s home, Carl Teubner died unexpectedly in September of 1851. The two buildings remain on the farm as his legacy. When George Husmann got word of his brother-in-law's death, he returned from a trip to the California gold mines, and assumed the management of the nursery and winery operation for his sister. in 1854, when Josephine Husmann Teubner died during the cholera epidemic, George also assumed guardianship of his young nephews, ages four and two.
Husmann - Manwaring Nursery (1858)
George Husmann was becoming well known for his expanding expertise in grape growing techniques.He wrote many books and articles, and started horticulture organizations which brought the Missouri wine industry to national attention.
Husmann developed a nursery and fruit tree farm that became known throughout the Midwest as a model business, providing grape plants, fruit trees, and more exotic plants and seeds from Europe and Asia to customers across the United States. Evidence of this eclectic tree farm still exists on the property in the form of a majestic ginkgo tree (one the largest in America) still standing next to the grand brick home Tuebner built.
In May of 1858, Husmann was joined by Charles Manwaring, of Geneva New York, to form Hermann Nurseries, which by 1860 ranked as the largest, most profitable business in Gasconade County. Husmann and Manwaring became two of the wealthiest residents in the area.
With the onset of the Civil War, both Husmann and Manwaring took leave of their business and joined the Union Army. In June of 1863 Captain Charles Manwaring was appointed Provost-Marshal for the Second District and was stationed in St. Louis. In May of 1864, during a trip home to Hermann to visit his wife and young son, Charles Manwaring was killed by Confederates while attempting to capture Rebel bushwhackers on the Hermann wharf. The fallen farmer, now local Civil War hero, was buried at the cemetery located on the Farm, near the graves of Charles and Josephine Teubner.
In October of 1864, General Marmaduke’s Confederate forces camped on the Husmann farm, destroying thousands of fruit trees and vines, and emptying the hillside cellar, after drinking all they could consume over a two-day period before marching to Jefferson City.
After the war ended, Husmann's nephew took over the wine making responsibilities and Husmann moved across the river from Hermann to start a new venture.
Kallmeyer Family Farm (October 14, 1908)
For the last l00 years the site of Hermann Farm has been owned and farmed by the Kallmeyer family, as a dairy farm, and then as an important horse and mule farm and livestock dealer, providing working animals to farms throughout the Missouri, as well as supplying mules and horses to the U.S. Army in Europe in both World War I and II. Under the careful stewardship of the Kallmeyers and their relatives, the farm, house, press house / wine cellar, and the surrounding hillside have been well preserved, maintaining their historic appearance into the 21st century.